Saturday, October 23, 2004

'Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs' by Chuck Klosterman

Will, my sometimes postmate, was sent 'Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs' from the US, read it, and thought I might enjoy it. I wanted a humorous book, so I went with it. The author, Chuck Klosterman, is a master of observations on pop culture. And since he's about exactly my age (we graduated from college the same year), his observations were highly amusing to me. That said, I don't think anyone born outside of the years 1970-1977 will either find it funny or even understand what he's trying to say. Whole chapters are devoted to such 'Gen X' topics as 'The Real World', 'Guns and Roses' and 'Star Wars' vs. 'Reality Bites'. Although I am exactly the target audience for this book, and I appreciated much of it (even laughed out loud a number of times), I thought it was a bit uneven. It would have been a better book if it had been tightly edited and cut shorter. I realize that there's not much market for a 150 page book, but it felt like 100 pages of filler wasn't worth much either.

In process: Faulkner's 'The Sound and the Fury'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home