Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Keep the prayers coming...they're working...

Whatever you're saying, whoever you're praying to, keep in up! In an effort not to agitate the "highest levels of Peace Corps Washington", who have also become dedicated readers of this blog, I won't go into the details. I have been hearing from Kristina's parents and they are saying that she is not only hearing and understanding what is being said, but that she is actually able to respond through non-verbal communication. It seems every day that she improves a little bit. She's not entirely out of the woods yet, but keep up the positive vibes and I'm sure she'll get there.

Almost all the other volunteers who were sent down have been discharged from the hospital. Its likely that only two of them will be returning to Cameroon to complete their service, but its expected that all will make full recoveries. Mending broken bones takes time...

Of the volunteers who stayed in Cameroon, almost all have returned to post. One had complications and infections and had to be sent to the US. Its unclear whether she'll return or not. There are obviously some lingering psychological effects of an accident of this sort that will likely not ever completely go away.

I have returned to post and have attempted to resume life as normal. In fact, I have returned with a renewed vigor and determination to achieve some larger goals before my service is finished. Teaching has continued to be a joy, and last Friday I received a large box of books from the non-profit, Darien Book Aid in Darien, CT. I've already used a couple of them, and they're going to go a long way towards helping my kids learn english! Thank you!!!

1 Comments:

At October 6, 2004 at 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,

Thank you for continuing your updates on the condition of the injured volunteers. Since my son Andrew is in Ndelele and doesn't have Internet access, it is an excellent way for us to keep informed.

And, yes, we are praying. I added the injured PCVs to the prayer list at our church.

A concerned PC mom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home