Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The End

WARNING TO READER: there are several posts that will be out of order, but its been hectic these last few months. Eventually, they'll all make it. I promise.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm just finishing up my movie (yes, I've put together a 30 minute video/photo montage of my experiences here in Cameroon), and as Vanessa Williams sings on the soundtrack, "Its a long way home". Indeed.

I suppose its never an easy thing to do- picking up and moving, and goodness knows I should be really good at it by now, but its still a painful, stress-inducing and anxiety-producing process. Packing, throwing away, closing up and saying goodbye while planning the next chapter brings on a wide range of emotions. I've been through them all. Unfortunately, this all has the negative side effect of preventing peaceful sleep. I'll do that on the way back.

Only a few days until I leave my house, my friends, my home for the last two years. Maybe forever. The people here like to ask me when I'm coming back. My standard response is, "in a few years, when I find the means". Rather vague, but I really can't say otherwise.

For now, a few more days of closing up, a few more evenings of eating and drinking with friends, and a few more mixed emotions. It is a long way home, but I'm on my way.

2 Comments:

At September 26, 2005 at 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have seen the movie-and it is fantastic. If you get the chance, definitely ask Pete to share it with you! Pete-I just decided to read the blog and am wondering how in the world we traveled for 2 weeks together and I did not know you had just recovered from broken ribs. Geez. If you had said that, maybe I would have carried your bag or something ;) I had a great time and wish you all the best with your future. You are a bright star my friend. Just keep shining!

 
At August 13, 2008 at 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pete. I'm sitting here at my really boring temp job in Boston and just finished reading your entire (yes, entire) blog. I served in the PC as a health volunteer in Guinea from 2004 - 2006. Your blog was linked to someone's who I served with, so I figured I would check it out! Thanks a lot for entertaining me for the last few days and teaching me a lot about Cameroon. It was interested to read about how different it seemed than Guinea, which surprised me.

Anyway, thought I should leave a comment and thank you! Would love an update post to know where this experience has led you!

-Julia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home