Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Five books- three and a half worth reading...

'Underworld' by Don DeLillo
One of the largest books I inherited (and thus intimidating) was 'Underworld' by Don DeLillo. I had heard mixed reviews, but my friend Sean in Philly convinced me to read it. Although I enjoyed it, it is one of those 'good' books which could have been a 'great' book with a bit of editing. A couple too many major characters and a couple too many storylines made it more difficult than necessary to keep track of what was going on all the time. I ended up following in my head the storylines I enjoyed and more or less glossing over those I didn't. It all worked out in the end, but it could've been so much more...

'Doctor Zhivago' by Boris Pasternak
An epic classic in every sense of the word, 'Doctor Zhivago' by Boris Pasternak tells the untold tales from the struggle inside the Russian Revolution. The book is roughly divided into three parts: before the war, Zhivago in the war, and Zhivago after the war. I thought the first and third parts were excellent, but the wartime drama just didn't appeal. Overall, I can see why its considered a great work of literature, if only for the sense of pain and endurance that is conveyed -its no wonder this book is still banned in Russia.

'East of Eden' by John Steinbeck
If every book were as wonderfully written, solidly ground, and imaginatively constructed as John Steinbeck's, 'East of Eden', I don't know that I would ever own a television or go to the movies again. This is the yardstick against which other novels should be placed, since its difficult to imagine one reaching much higher. A must read. Special thanks to my good friend Frankie for shipping this large tome over here- it was worth it!

'Sacred Journey of a Peaceful Warrior' by Dan Millman
I figured a little breezy reading would be nice after a couple of classics, so I picked up the second book by Dan Millman, 'Sacred Journey of a Peaceful Warrior'. I didn't much care for the style of the first, and the second wasn't much better. Imagine Jimmy Buffet writing a 'zen' novel, and you've about got it. There was one quote that I was able to retain, '...you can't worry about crossing the street if you're still only halfway to the corner'.

'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay' by Dan Chabon
A Pulitzer Prize winner, 'The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay' by Dan Chabon, was fantastic. At once both entertaining and informative, the book paints the picture of two young men in pre-war and wartime New York City mixing in themes such as comic books, jewish immigration and homosexuality. I heartily recommend it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home