Friday, June 03, 2005

'The Killer Angels' by Michael Shaara

Maybe its my impending return to the south, or I just have a taste for all things American now, but I really enjoyed Michael Shaara's, 'The Killer Angels'. The book, a factual, almost hourly account of the two sides of the battle of Gettysburg is by far the most readable book centered on combat I have every come across. I learned a lot, felt like I understood their thoughts and concerns, and came out with mixed feelings about the outcome, leading directly to the end of the Civil War. Even if you're only mildly curious about what actually happened, I would recommend it. For people like me who had history-fanatic parents and who were dragged (half-willingly) to battle sites all over the east coast (including Gettysburg), it fills a gap, and makes you appreciate those hours in the car and the used bullet you bought at the gift shop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home