Saturday, June 07, 2003

I'm here! I'm here! I arrived in Yaounde on Thursday afternoon after about 20 hours in the air. We flew from New York to Paris, changed planes and flew to Douala and then finally on to Yaounde. We were met by the country director and a few staff of the Peace Corps Cameroon. After being ushered through customs and passport control, we got our bags. Believe it or not, all 55 of us got every one of our bags!! Quite an omen, if you ask me.

I just finished my French proficiency interview for placement into classes. I think I got across the fact that I knew some French, but was far from fluent. I was actually quite proud that I understood all of Isaac's questions (he's a Cameroonian). They all seem to speak very proper French, which should be wonderful.

Right now, we're in a hotel in Yaounde. Its called Hotel Jouvence 2000, since that's when it was built. Its not quite a western hotel though. They try hard, so I have to give them credit. I have a single room now after a snafu the first night put me rooming with Sean, a very quite introvert from Alabama. We shared a double bed, which wasn't all that comfortable, but we survived. I moved into my own room last night. There is an air conditioner, which is nice since its generally around 85 degrees during the day. It has rained both nights so far, very heavily, for only a half hour or so each time. It seems to do that about twice a day with sun and some clouds in between. The bathroom is quite interesting with a European toilet (you pull the handle on top) and a bidet (see, they're trying). There's also a bathtub with a very short hose for a hand-held shower effect. I've figured out that I can either bend over far or take a shower on my knees. There is no shower curtain, so I've ended up making quite a mess.

Right now, I'm in the Peace Corps compound (armed guards who check the underside of trucks entering with a mirror- Just like DC!!). We're going on a short trip to the museum in about five minutes.... so I have to go now. I'll try to respond to individual emails when I have more time, but I wanted you to know that I got here safe and am enjoying my new adventure so far! I miss you all!
BTW, I got my first letter yesterday! Thanks, Rebecca! It was post-marked May 21st, and I got it on June 6th. Not bad, if you ask me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home